Wednesday, October 24, 2007

One Night...

Tom and I recently had a chance to get away for one night. One night to be just us, one night to eat our meals together, one night to remember its fun "just hanging out". The above pic is us at the harvest festival...we are so happy because we know tomorrow is our getaway:-) We headed up to Truckee...a place Tom took me on my first visit to Northern California, some 8 years ago...
Our first stop was the Sunset Magazine Idea House...apparently they are starting to do these annually, this year they have one in Truckee and one in SF...If you get a chance you should check it out! They do these houses to allow their readers a chance to see all the cool new stuff you can dream about putting in your house...as the name suggests they want you to get "ideas" cameras are welcome...This one is supposed to have a lot of green features and the SF one is supposed to be the greenest yet...
Here we are enjoying our tour:-) Where did that other chin come from? LOL...
We are not really Bed & Breakfast people...we enjoy them and all BUT we really like trying new places for breakfast! Plus I LONG for accommodations that are modern! Enter the Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee it really is beautiful...beautiful wood, nice clean lines...etc. But don't expect anything similar to the warm B&B greeting...it was nice but the concierge left a little to be desired! The place was empty...I think we only saw one other couple the whole time we were there...
The hotel has a lot of European influences...they use the European bedding, which is just a fitted sheet and then a duvet...or two...yep Tom and I had our own duvets...hehe perfect for us since we are always accusing the other of stealing the covers! The floors are heated, and we had a balcony with the view below...It was really fun and different...
That's a green roof above the lobby... After settling in we headed down to town, wandered around and enjoyed not having to corral a one year old! We went out to a wonderful dinner at the Dragonfly restaurant...if you go you must have the Curried Flat Bread Yum! the recipe is here...
It was really nice having dinner without the usual, "mommy! mommy!" and without a child in my lap...and we had REAL conversation...you know the kind when you can remember what the other person said when you answer them, because you HEARD them and weren't distracted! yeah that kind...We talked about how nice it was to just hang out...Spending time with Tom always reminds me of how amazing God is...He created the two of us for each other and led us down our own separate paths until our lives combined and became one...it's fascinating to me that we can just sit and talk and that we can be so real with each other and not be afraid...
Anyway so it was an AMAZING dinner, and we ate too much and headed back...for some 24...yes we are addicted! We just finished season 1 and are taking a break before starting season 2...

The next morning we slept in and took our own sweet time getting going...Tom brought me coffee, and I laid around like I had nothing to do...which I didn't! Then we decided to drive to Tahoe City...On the way we stopped and strolled through Squaw Valley, it was SO beautiful...but cold...the weather started turning and rain looked eminent so we headed home a little early, hoping to avoid driving through any snow...We have to do this again it was fun! And lest you think I am a horrible mom...I MISSED Holden, I made Tom call home 2 times(well that is the number of times he actually gave in...I tried many more times)...I didn't sleep well at all wondering if my baby needed me, and if he was awake and keeping Grandmere awake...and when I got home it was nice to see he missed me:-) Oh and we talked about him...at least a dozen times:-)

But Holden did awesome! He slept through the night...had a little trouble going to sleep looking for "mommy and daddy", and then woke up and played with MJ till we got home...he wasn't clingy the next day or anything! So reassuring after you leave them...I think I took the separation harder than he did...But I still managed to have a wonderful time and get in some much needed marriage refreshment! God is awesome! He provides what we need when we need it!

1 comment:

Staci said...

I'm so glad y'all were able to get away together! I looks like you had fun!