Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ranker and other Holdenisms

So the other day we are at Grandmere and Grandpere's playing...and Holden is pointing to the remote control (I call it TV Changer) but that's another post...and saying "ranker" repeatedly...being the astute mom I am trying to figure out what he means, I think he's saying changer, taking after mom's habit of calling it TV changer...but when I say that to him he keeps repeatedly saying "ranker" which means "no mom it's ranker" so I kind of ignore it because I am lost as to what it is...A short while later we go up to Grandpere's office and it starts again, Holden is pointing to all the stuff on the shelves saying, "ranker, ranker" and now Grandmere is there too...we are thinking hard what could it be? And Holden says, "ranker hat" pointing to Grandpere's hat...could ranker mean Grandpere? hmm that seems like an odd pronunciation...but not a minute later Grandpere comes up the stairs and Holden runs to him, "ranker, ranker!" So yes folks all this to tell you Holden calls his beloved Grandpere, "ranker" and we hear about him several times a day especially if a plane flies overhead...and I should have known that's what he was saying because at home he points to everything and tells you who it belongs to...our remote control belongs to daddy...should have known...oh well...


Holden is also obsessed, I mean obsessed, with noises lately, anything that might make noise he is interested in and points to and says "noise", if he knows its name he says that too, "vacuum, yawnmower, etc." He also makes "vroom" noises while he plays with his cars/trucks, oh and this morning he was trying to imitate the humidifier noise...I tell you obsessed.


"yights" are also big in our house, Christmas or otherwise, he wants them on off, he wants to see them as we drive by...he likes to roam the neighborhood looking at the "yights" and looking for "amals" (animals for those of you who don't live with toddlers;))


He's getting boys and men's names down but not women...hmmm wonder what that means...he says "Zachy" for one of his friends, and "Josh" for Uncle Josh...but sorry to Uncle Josh, his "josh" also sounds very similar to his "trash", and "flush" so unless it is in context its rather hard to tell...I do know its Josh when he says, "Josh yawnmower" although I am pretty sure Josh has never mowed our lawn...
And everything can be found in the "offees", daddy, the broom, his toys, EVERYTHING...you just ask him where it is and he says, "Offees!" (Office)


He likes body parts, but watch out if he is pointing out YOUR eyes or nose because you might lose an eye or his finger may reach your brain! He also is learning potty terms and of course the lovely "boogie".


It seems like he has new words everyday...he is always repeating what you say if it is a "new" word. This morning he was trying to carry something awkward and he said, "heavy" I was shocked...I guess we are always talking to him so he gets the words from us...


Ok this post is probably only interesting for family members...I am sure anyone who has kids is not impressed but he's my first...all these things are so fun...and so I will end it here:-)

3 comments:

Amy said...

So cute!! I loved reading this post. Makes me feel like I know the little guy even more :)

Jamie said...

Love this post! Hearing them express themselve through words is an amazing experience. I love seeing their little minds working.

Kris said...

What a great story! I love it "Ranker!" He is so smart!

I cant wait till Brynn gets to that age!