Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Bye Bye Birdie...

A while back Tom and I were in the hammock talking and we noticed a large nest in our oak tree...I thought maybe the squirrels had built a nest...But apparently it was a large bird...Sunday evening while Beth and Josh and MJ were here...Beth and MJ found a baby bird...it was large for a baby and looked like some kind of Heron...It was limping around our backyard...so Beth got concerned and told us to call Wildlife rescue...after checking the websites guidelines Tom and I decided to leave it be for the night and check on it in the morning...

The next morning he was still there...and it seemed as if he was making a nest in one of our bushes...So we decided to call the hot line and see what they said...I called they transferred me, I left a message, and I never heard back...go figure...so we watched the bird on Monday...we looked up at the big nest, and saw the mama right outside of the nest...she looked like she was watching over the baby...but never came down to retrieve it...

So Tuesday morning when I woke I saw the baby on our deck, "conversing" with itself in the reflection of our sliding glass door...so sad...Tom left for work telling me to find out what we could feed it...I never got to that...at some point during the day I lost him...

Later that afternoon while Beth and I and the kids were outside we heard this repeated squawking...sounded like "talking"...soon after we heard rustling in our apricot tree...and low and behold we saw the baby, climbing branches, and fluttering up the tree...I got the binoculars and confirmed yes the mama was the squawker...she appeared to be "talking" the baby up the tree...the baby fluttered to the lowest oak branch from the fruit tree...and continued his journey up to his mama...once there she quickly fed him and off she went...It was truly amazing to watch this mama call her baby home:-) And I am happy that the baby was rescued...I was worrying about the poor little guy starving...I am glad we did not interrupt nature:-)

Just for fun here is the nightly "baby body slamming" it occurs after the bath before bedtime:-)

Holden is thinking...

No comments: