Friday, June 29, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

Today Tom and I have been married 5 years! It hardly seems possible that 9 years ago we met and started dating...and now we are married and have an amazing son! Five years ago we were gathered with friends and family in San Luis Obispo, having a great time! Oh and getting married:-) And while we were getting married my brother and his wife were celebrating their one year anniversary! So Happy Anniversary Matthew and Paula! We love you! And love sharing an anniversary!
Tonight we went out to dinner and a movie...get this...the first movie we have been to since Holden was born! YIKES! We saw Oceans 13...It was pretty good...We ate at the Yardhouse...famous for 180 or something beers on tap...BUT they don't let you taste before you buy...what? anyway, lets just say I was disappointed with my beer selection...and Tom of course didn't have beer...the food was excellent though...
Before dinner we were in the pool...did I mention it was HOT...over 100 again...mo surprise, but man I forgot what it is like to live here...you do all outside activities before 9am...and well after 7pm...Ok so we were in the pool...Holden was not sure of this contraption...much preferred just swimming with mom or dad...he was having mommy attachment most of our trip...
Here he is with daddy, "Um mom, did you know it HOT here!" Love that his dimple shows even when not smiling:-)
While we were out Holden's grandparents and great grandparents had fun playing with him and keeping him entertained! They must of worn him out because he went to sleep no problem (so I heard) and...gasp...he slept all night, without nursing! That has NEVER happened! He usually wakes up around midnight...and has to nurse...He also slept through the night on Thursday night! Woohoo! maybe this is a pattern...
Here is Tom and I before our date...I have been reading the book "I Promise" by Dr. Gary Smalley and in it he uses a Bamboo Tree as an illustration of a strong marriage...Apparently for the first four years of its life the bamboo tree does very little that is visible to the outside world...above ground it is just a bulb with a thin wisp of a leaf...for FOUR years...all the while though it is building a massive root system...in the fifth year it shoots up a 60' tree! He talks about how a marriage needs to have a solid foundation of "roots" so that when things happen in our lives and relationships we can remain rooted...I really feel like Tom and I have done this over the last few years...we have laid down a system of roots, that have been amazing to watch, although it has been tough I know we are better for it in the long run...and we have as our foundational soil...God...and He will lead us through any storm...OK enough of the "illustrations" You get my drift...
Smalley also talks about security being the most important part of a marriage relationship (I have not finished this book...so this is where I have gotten to) I never would have really thought about it like this...BUT it is true...when Tom and I got married, we had both traveled with God on separate journey's discovering who we are in God's eyes...This was especially important for me because of the journey that had led me to God, and ultimately to Tom...I struggled with trust, and self worth...and ultimately (unbeknownst to either of us) entered into our marriage with wounds that were still scabs and not scars as I thought...certain things that Tom brought into our marriage exposed these wounds, and we struggled during our first year to get through this...and to permanently close up these wounds, and the consequences that came with them...I was plagued with nightmares that recurred throughout this first year...dreams that made me question that security...it was a hard time...


All that said, God is so amazing and good...Tom and I have come out of that place and we have had 5 years that have been amazing...amazing in seeing God's work...amazing in drawing closer to God and each other...and amazing in growing to know this man that God created and molded just for me...amazing to draw close and be there in the struggles and heartbreak when no one else but your spouse and God will do...


So Tom, know that I love you, I love our life, I love watching you with our son, I love watching you seek God in your daily life, I love the way you make me feel secure, and I love the way you can remind me to turn to God when I forget, and that together we can get through anything...I look forward to the years ahead, and eagerly await the way God is going to use us, stretch us, and grow us...

2 comments:

michael said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH!

michael said...

Oh, make that BELATED anniversary. I guess I'm a few (10?) days late, huh?